Phra Pathon Chedi, the largest Stupa in Thailand, is located in the province of Nakorn Pathom.
The Stupa is 120.45 meters high, i.e. it is about the same height as St. Paul Cathedral in London. The current Phra Pathom Chedi, which covers the old one, dates from the time of King Ramas IV, while the old one was probably two thousand years old.
Wat Phra Pathom Chedi is one of the six royal temples of the highest rank in Thailand.
The ancient Pathom Chedi was discovered by Prince Mongkut in the time of Ramas III, when he made a pilgrimage to Nakorn Pathom as a monk.
Here he found an old stupa 81 meters high in the form of an upside-down bowl with a tapered “Prang”. However, this old Stupa was only renovated in 1853 after Prince Mongkut had climbed the Tron. The renovation took a total of 17 years.
Many archaeologists claim that the old stupa – due to its shape – is stylistically similar to the “Maha Chedi Sanchi” in India, which was built in the time of King Asoke the Great of India (3rd century – 2nd century BC).
When King Asoke sent his religious missionary, Phra Sona Thera and Phra Uttara Thera to the “Golden Land”, the Stupa was built.
However, the exact date of origin remains in the dark. The name “Phra Pathom Chedi” came from King Rama IV and means “the first Stupa built in Thailand”
The large Stupa is the main attraction of the temple, surrounded by a round gallery and four Vihan in the north, south, east and west.
The Stupa is 120.45 meters high and 233.50 meters wide under the base, which is supported by a balustrade. Above the second layer there is the lotus leaf base, the bell, the throne and the smaller rings on top.
At the top there is a “nopasul” together with an honorary crown, which represents the royal emblem of Rama IV. The four main Vihan stand around the Stupa on four sides. Vihan Luang in the East, the South Vihan, the West Vihan and the North Vihan
Phuttamonthon is currently considered the largest Buddhist site in Thailand. It is set on 1,000 acres and extends over four districts in Nakorn Pathom Province.
The idea of making Phuttamonthon the largest Buddhist city in Thailand already existed at the time of Prime Minister Field Marshal Pibulsongkram, but was rejected by parliament. However, this plan was accepted during the celebration at the beginning of the 25th Buddhist century.
Later, on July 29, 1955, King Bhumibol laid the foundation stone for the main Buddha statue. Construction slowed down because most of the financial support was missing. In 1978 the Phuttamonthon project received further funding from the government of Prime Minister general Kriengsak Chamanan.
The Phuttamonthon as such contains the following sights.
The main Buddha statue was designed by Professor Silpa Bhirasi in 1955 and was not made until 1981.
The statue, 17.358 meters high, has a striding position. It was called “Phra Si Sakaya Thosaponyan” by King Rama IX and is considered the largest bronze statue in the Bangkok period.
The payment is encrypted and
transmitted securely with an SSL
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".
|The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.
|This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".